Habits are how you take your big plans make parts of them easy. Celebrating small successes is how you build those habits.
Celebrations are a natural part of learning, personal change and forming new habits. Building and changing habits is tough, but habits can be formed a small piece at a time and usually only take 10 weeks to lock it in. Over years, tiny positive progress will revolutionize your life.
Ever since the proverbial caveman long ago got away from the Sabre-tooth tiger by climbing a tree, we have celebrated by relaxing and feeling good about ourselves. That small celebration reinforced his successful behaviour and kept him alive.
Here are 10 tiny celebrations to use each time you have achieved something new. Try each one and look for any kind of feeling in yourself. A small positive feeling is all you need to celebrate your successes.
Celebration 1 – Air Punch
- Punch your fist in the air and think about having achieved.
Celebration 2 – “Yes”
- Simply say “Yes” to yourself. You can say yes a million times, so celebrate each step with this one.
Celebration 3 – Smile for 5 Seconds
- Recognize that you have steered yourself in the direction you want to go, smile and think about that for 5 seconds.
Celebration 4 – Look at the Horizon
- Looking at the horizon can be relaxing. Open your feelings to a greater awareness of the world.
Celebration 5 – Chocolate
- Treat yourself to a small reward. This may seem counter productive to some goals, but make it small and enjoy it.
Celebration 5 – “Well Done”
- Simply say to yourself
- Ahhhh – Well done
- “I’m Awesome”
- “Bingo – I nailed it”
Celebration 6 – Breathe & Stretch
- Everybody and every body deserves air and a stretch. A great little reward for yourself
Celebration 7 – Random Act of Kindness
Random acts of kindness have been shown to change the hormones in your body so are as good for you as they are for the other person. Take the time to do something small for someone else and feel happier an better in yourself.
- Ask them how their day was
- Offer to get them a drink.
- Tell them that they are looking good today
- Thank them for something they have done for you.
Celebration 8 – Have a Glass of Water
- Water is great for your body and mind. This is a good once or twice a day reward for yourself to have an extra glass. No need to over do it, but remember that you are doing it for yourself as a reward.
Celebration 9 – Feel Pleased
- Think of something you did well and spend a few seconds feel pleased at what you did.
Celebration 10 – Feel Grateful
- Think of something or someone good in your life and feel grateful.
You might also like the following videos for the behaviours that lead to outcomes. Create Tiny Habits through Motivation + Ability + Trigger + Celebration. If you plant the tiny seed in the right spot it is a natural process to grow.